|Free Wheeling Single Girl by Paige Alexander|
We could add any other Hoffman fabrics to the 5 fat quarters received. I decided to use three different chartreuse fabrics, 2 prints and a solid as the background. And I added in 2 purples to go with the black and white prints for a pop of color.
Piecing the rings went very well, similar to the first Free Wheeling Single block made in Denyse's class at Sewtopia Atlanta. Planning the fabric placement for the so-called improv rings was probably the most time consuming part. I say that only because, I really struggle with improv.
|Free Wheeling Single Girl quilt top on the green beans|
For the quilting, I thought about using the quilting design included in the original Single Girl pattern, but decided to try Denyse's Figure Eight quilting template. My fellow guild member digitized the design to be able to use with Quilt Path, the computerized quilting software for her APQS Millennium. This the 2nd quilt I've quilted on her longarm and with each quilt I'm learning the ins and outs of loading the quilt on the machine and using Quilt Path.
|Free Wheeling Single Girl 'improv' pieced ring and quilting detail|
|Rounded corners of the Free Wheeling Single Girl|
|Improv scrappy binding for Free Wheeling Single Girl|
|Photographer's assistant taming the quilt top|
- Finished size: 63" x 63"
- Pattern: Free Wheeling Single Girl by Denyse Schmidt
- Binding: 3/8" double fold bias binding (partially improv) from 2 1/4" strips and sewn down by hand
- Fabrics: Me + You batiks from Hoffman Fabrics
- Thread: Aurifil black for piceing the rings and 5010 beige for assembling blocks; 5022 mustard for quilting
- Quilting design: Denyse Schmidt Quilts Figure Eight template digitized for computerized quilting
- Batting: 100% Cotton Warm & Natural by the Warm Company
- Completed: June 15, 2016
Usually a name for a quilt comes to me while working on it, but this time nothing!
Any suggestions for a name for my Free Wheeling Single Girl quilt?
Linking up to Finish Up Friday, Whoop Whoop Friday, Ali at Arabesque Sicssors hosting Thank Goodness Its Finished Friday this week, Fabric Frenzy Friday and Show Off Saturday.